About Vital Options Help Support Vital Options Message Boards Resources for Cancer Survivors The Group Room
Vital Options Home Page (English) Vital Options Page d' Accueil (Franšais) Vital Options Homepage (Deutsch)
Welcome to Vital Options
About Vital Options
Support Vital Options
Vital Options Resources
Clinical Trials Information and Links
The Group Room
Young Adults With Cancer
Today's Cancer News, courtesy of OncoLink
Our Sponsors
Vital Options Home Page
The Group Room Message Board  

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsTopic ListPost New TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
small cell lung cancer
Posted by: robin (IP Logged)
Date: November 29, 2006 06:24AM

I am looking for people with extensive small cell lung cancer that
would share the chemo drugs they have been on, along with the success or non-success of these drugs. My husband was just diagnosed late September 2006.
He is currently doing chemo with Carboplatin and Epotoside. How long did your drugs work and how long before your cancer reappeared?

Thank you,
Robin

Re: small cell lung cancer-reply
Posted by: Karen (IP Logged)
Date: December 28, 2006 03:35PM

Robin-
My husband was also diagnosed with SCLC in late October. He was found to already have brain metastases, and started whole brain radiation in early December. We see the oncologist in early January and will learn what they propose for chemo. They'll probably wait another couple of weeks to start that regimen. My husband also had a successful heart transplant 11 years ago, and they'll have to markedly reduce the antirejections drugs before they put chemo into the mix. He had an upper body CT today, so we also are waiting to hear if there are other sites of mets.

How is your husband doing on the chemo you mentioned? Any sense yet of how it's working? How about side effects, and how are the two of you managing them?

I have just come to this site, and will check in reguarly now that I know it's here.

Best wishes to you both,
Karen

Posted by: Suzanne (IP Logged)
Date: January 17, 2007 06:57PM

Karen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Robin-
> My husband was also diagnosed with SCLC in late
> October. He was found to already have brain
> metastases, and started whole brain radiation in
> early December. We see the oncologist in early
> January and will learn what they propose for
> chemo. They'll probably wait another couple of
> weeks to start that regimen. My husband also had
> a successful heart transplant 11 years ago, and
> they'll have to markedly reduce the antirejections
> drugs before they put chemo into the mix. He had
> an upper body CT today, so we also are waiting to
> hear if there are other sites of mets.
>
> How is your husband doing on the chemo you
> mentioned? Any sense yet of how it's working?
> How about side effects, and how are the two of you
> managing them?
>
> I have just come to this site, and will check in
> reguarly now that I know it's here.
>
> Best wishes to you both,
> Karen

Posted by: Suzanne (IP Logged)
Date: January 17, 2007 07:04PM

My dad was diagnosed with extensive SCLC in March of 2006. He did 9 rounds of chemo, which consisted of Cisplatin and Epotoside. The first round was the worse but each one got easier. In November he developed the side effect of peripheral neuropathy and his doctor said, no more chemo. It was amazing how much better he felt in Nov. & Dec. without the "dragging down of the chemo". We had scans on Jan.9th, All cancer was gone in the liver and brain but had grown 1/2 inch in the lung. We are now trying the epotoside pill. The plan is to do 2 rounds of the pill, then redo scans and see what the cancer is doing.
When we first started, his doctor said I can give you 6, 7, 8 months and it has now almost been a year. A WONDERFUL year!!!!! My advice is take the chemo as long as your husband tolerates it without compromising his quality of life.
Don't waste a minute. Enjoy the time together.

Posted by: Sandy Nicholas (IP Logged)
Date: April 11, 2007 05:00PM

Robin,

I was diagnosed in March w/small lung cancer. I'm currently doing chemo too! I have 4 rounds of chemo to do and than a CT scan will check on the development of the tumor.

Have faith and everything will be fine with your husband. Please keep me in touch with his development on his treatments.

Posted by: michelle (IP Logged)
Date: April 22, 2007 02:38PM

my mom is 71 and was diagnosed w/ small cell lung cancer on nov 1st,2007.they did chemo right away because we were already in the hospital. it seems that the tumor (which was 5inches) was taking away her sodium and that made her very weak and lethargic. prior to that she went to the doc cause she was coughing and shortness of breath. they thought is was allergies. finally in the hospital the did a chest x-ray and found the cancer. she was doing cisplat and vp16. but we ended up in the hospital every week because of the sodium level so the doc switched to carboplat and vp16 and that seemed to work. because of the sodium she can only have 1000cc of fluid a day. we finished her 6 round of chemo@the end of feb. my sister and i did not tell our mom that this is not curable and that she has limited time. she has lived w/ my sister and really has no loose ends to take care of. 3 weeks after her last chemo we went on vacation and have been enjoying the time that we have. she did ask the doc last visit what do we do now, i really don't want to take a break i'd rather get this over with. he did tell her this is not curable. it was like a ton of bricks hit her. but she still did not understand completely cause when the nurse was taking her blood she looked at her and said, "becky do you know that i'm going to have to do this the rest of my life" my sister and i (we are in our 30s) have always been so close to our mom she is so young even though she is 71 people always think she is in her 50s. i think once you hit 70 doctors don't attack the cancer as hard because of the age. so now we wait. if anyone knows what will happen next or their story is similar please let me know. my heart goes out to each and every person dealing with this.

Posted by: Heather (IP Logged)
Date: May 09, 2007 04:55PM

Michelle,
I can definitely understand where you are coming from. My father (age 65) was diagnosed with SCLC in December 2006. The cancer maetatisized to his media sternum,liver and brain. After whole brain radiation to attempt to rid the over 40 mets in his brain, chemo began. This treatment made him so weak. We found that when he could eat, Scandi shakes (600 calorie weight gain shakes) helped him keep on a little weight. With the chemo., the masses in his body shrank enormously, which raised our hopes. We then received the news only 2 weeks ago that his aggressive cancer is back and he is uncurable. I know the pain you and your sister must feel. We all go through the roller coaster of emotions. Please know that there are people out there like your family and mine. It is such a struggle, but reminds us to never take a single day for granted. Best wishes to you and your family.
Heather

Posted by: Heather (IP Logged)
Date: May 09, 2007 04:55PM

Michelle,
I can definitely understand where you are coming from. My father (age 65) was diagnosed with SCLC in December 2006. The cancer maetatisized to his media sternum,liver and brain. After whole brain radiation to attempt to rid the over 40 mets in his brain, chemo began. This treatment made him so weak. We found that when he could eat, Scandi shakes (600 calorie weight gain shakes) helped him keep on a little weight. With the chemo., the masses in his body shrank enormously, which raised our hopes. We then received the news only 2 weeks ago that his aggressive cancer is back and he is uncurable. I know the pain you and your sister must feel. We all go through the roller coaster of emotions. Please know that there are people out there like your family and mine. It is such a struggle, but reminds us to never take a single day for granted. Best wishes to you and your family.
Heather

Posted by: Lisa (IP Logged)
Date: May 25, 2007 01:44AM

My mom was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer September '06. She went through 6 cycles of chemo, cistplatin and etoposide. The side effects were horrific. She ended up wheelchair bound, she's 50 with no past medical history. She did smoke since she was a teenager. Today she got tatood for radiation. She is walking around fine, but feel extremely tired ALL THE TIME, and has not been eating much lately. The chemotherapy was the toughest part. I have to say she is outliving what the statistics say about this disease. Her tumor was 10 centimeters upper left lung. Chemo shrunk it to 2.5. She starts radiation May 30. Anyway that is my story.

Re: small cell lung cancer
Posted by: dar (IP Logged)
Date: June 12, 2007 05:48PM

Hi-my Mom was diagnosed in Sept/2006 with Ext Small Cell in liver and adrenal. She did 6 rounds of Carbo/Etoposide-shrunk 90%-started Concurrent radiation 3 weeks-then one brain met found-she is now doing WBR-whole brain radiation. We are hoping that goes away with this treatment. They were very aggressive with my Mom. She is 61-60 when diagnosed and was the picture of health.
Anyone who wants to email me please feel free-I would love to speak to others with going through this.
Dar

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Vital Options®, The Group Room®, TeleSupport®, Dance For Life®, The Cancer NewsMinute®, CancerTalk™, The Professor & The Survivor®, Cancer Options™, Advocacy in Action®, National Young Adult Cancer Awareness Week® and OncoTalk™ are trademarks of Vital Options International, Inc.

Copyright © 2012 Vital Options.   All Rights Reserved.
Web site by DE NOVO Medical Venture Marketing, a founding member of HSMN..